Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wish I knew what I was getting myself into

Sometimes I really wish I knew what I was getting myself into before I say yes to things. At the beginning of the year, the kids always bring home all the paperwork from their teachers. And I think that I was bummed that the last few years I haven't been able to help in their classrooms because of work, so I pretty much said yes to everything. Well, Lindsay's teacher has a great thing going in her room, she has no pencil sharpener for the students to use. She said she was tired of the second graders always breaking the sharpeners, and I know how much time they can waste sharpening pencils, so I really like this idea. However, what that means is that she sends pencils home to parents who are willing to sharpen pencils. So when I checked the box that said, "Yes, I will sharpen pencils", I had no idea what it really meant. Lindsay came home the second day of school with an industrial electric pencil sharpener for me to use for the year, and I do a load of pencils a few times a week. Really, I am thrilled to be helping the teacher, and if I can free up some of her time, I'm happy to do it.

1 comment:

Brittany and Scott said...

smart teacher!! i hated the pencil sharpener too and took it away, but i didn't have nice parents like you to sharpen my pencils, they couldn't even make it to iep meetings.