Saturday, October 2, 2010

The love of my life


Recently J was talking to a woman he plays tennis with about the slow pitch softball league we have here in Surprise. Turns out that this team she plays on needed more women for their team, so I was invited to join their team. I went out the first week, had a little fun, but I miss really playing ball. Slow pitch just isn't the same. As I'm trying to dust off the cobwebs, I decided I needed to find some batting cages nearby so that I can work on not popping the ball up (a sign of being anxious in the box and swinging just a little too early as the ball is coming down). As I searched for cages, I came across a park in Glendale that is not city owned and they have their own leagues. The first thing that caught my eye about this website was one of my favorite words: fastpitch. As I'm reading over the information on the website, I'm getting more and more excited--they actually have a women's fastpitch league, something so rare and precious I can hardly believe it. After poking around on their website for awhile, I found a place where you can post as a free agent or find postings for teams that need more players. So this past Wednesday night, I spent a couple hours doing one of the things that I love most in this whole world: playing fastpitch softball. As rusty as I am, I was able to contribute defensively and offensively, so I had a pretty good game. And I found that my muscles seem to remember how to do most of this, even if they don't do it as fast or as well as they used to. So now I'm working on getting out there and clearing out the cobwebs, using muscles that have been dormant way too long, and trying to get competitive again. And all the while, having so much fun that I don't care how far I have to drive to get there (40 minutes one way), or how sore I end up after. It's all worth it to have re-discovered my life-long love of the game.

No comments: