Monday, September 13, 2010

Crime & Punishment





We've been having a really difficult time teaching Cole the importance of a good night's sleep. When he was younger, we discovered that he would set his alarm for the middle of the night so he could wake up and play video games. We've gone through a couple of phases like that since then, which always results in us taking away whatever it is that wakes him up at night. Recently, I've begun to suspect that he's been up again, but we haven't been able to figure out what is waking him up (his alarm clock currently resides on my bedroom floor). Well, things came to a head Friday night when I sent him to his room to write an apology note to someone in his class. I came to check on him five minutes later and found him dead asleep. He ended up sleeping through karate, something he would never do willingly, only waking up for a late dinner. So when I sent him back to bed that night, he kept doing things to keep himself up, so I finally made him go sleep on the floor next to my bed. Over this weekend, I have caught him getting up in the middle of the night almost every night (apparently he's not using anything to wake himself up, he just wakes and instead of turning over and going back to sleep, he decides that it's time to play). So, until he earns back the privilege of getting to sleep in his bed, this is his new sleep spot:
Just to give you some perspective on where this is in our room, basically, Cole is sleeping with the dog:
Charlie isn't too thrilled with the arrangement as it puts someone in between where he sleeps and where mom sleeps, so we've had the dog getting up on the bed more often than he usually does in the summer. Over all, I have to say that this whole experience is exhausting me. Of course it's happening the same weekend that J is totally sick and can't help, so I'm the one that has to patrol nighttime. He's told us he's already sick of sleeping on the floor, so I hope he earns his bed back soon.

On a side note, I thought my title especially fitting because, as weird as it sounds, one of Cole's nicknames is Crime. :D

No comments: