Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Preserving memories

I was talking with my husband the other day about my scrapbooking addiction...er, I mean hobby. I just freed up some desperately needed space in my craft room by moving all the scrapbooks that have been completed down to his office and that got us talking about it. I made a comment, a little tongue in cheek at the time, about how I shouldn't feel guilty about not doing my own family history because at least I spend a lot of time preserving and recording our family history. As I started thinking about my comment, I realized that part of it really is correct. I may spend a lot of time and money doing this hobby, but my kids have had every moment of their lives (well, at least up until 2005, which is where I'm at with the scrapbooks) documented, photographed, and preserved. I've developed a new way to approach them (mostly because I'm terribly behind, and this seems to help bring back the memories and stories I wanted to tell in their books). I will work on one kid's book for a year, and then go back for the same year and do the second kid, and then the third before I move on to the next year. I'm at the end of 2005 in Bailey's book:


2 comments:

Kim said...

I love it! If you ask me there aren't actually very many of us left who scrapbook using paper and stuff. It is hard for me to find friends who scrapbook the way I do. Most either use scrapbook supplies to do other paper crafts and cards excusively or just have left the crafting part of it and gone completely digital or just don't do it at all. It may be what's best for their family but I miss huge parties of friends working on scrapbooks together. Call me sentimental!

Jessica said...

I know what you mean. I bought the My Digital Studio software, but I'm not into it very much for scrapping (although I was able to make some cool headers for my blog and other things). For me, if I'm not touching it and playing with it with my hands, it's not at all the same thing.