Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cops must have nothing to do on Wednesdays

Jason and I spent the day in the car yesterday driving our kids to Cabazon where my dad was nice enough to meet us and take them home with him. We don't have a date as to when they'll be back yet, but we do know it will be the end of July, so this is the longest they will spend with my mom for the summer. Since my dad isn't working any more, she probably figured they could play all day with him and then she can come home from school and spoil them. The nice thing is that they get to do all sorts of fun stuff there that they can't do here because 1) we can't afford it; 2) it's too hot to go outside. And then we don't have to worry about childcare since Jason's work took away his ability to work from home.

Anyway, the whole point to this post is that we maybe see one or two cops on our way to and from California when we go. And we know the spot that they love to hang out in, so we're careful there (because I'm sorry, but I would scream if we had to follow the speed limit all the way). Well, yesterday we seriously saw at least 10 different cops in addition to the mobile photo enforcement zones that they had set up in Az. Each of us got to have an "Oh crap!" moment when we thought we were had. While I was driving on the way out there, I couldn't see this cop hidden in the center median because he was behind this huge desert tree until I was on him going too fast. I thought for sure I'd had it, but he didn't pull out. Then on the way home, Jason was driving, and he spotted a cop on the other side as we were passing him. Jay even saw him hit his lights and come around onto our side, but he had slowed down and the cop never tried to catch up to us. We're thinking that maybe he wasn't able to get him on radar, just that he knew Jay was speeding. We were really lucky both times, and after the second one, Jay was a good boy the rest of the way home. Neither of us has had a ticket in a really long time. The last one Jay got was a year before we left Stockton, and the last one I got, I was pregnant with Cole. We're hoping to make that record last, but I think we need to have more patience with the trips--that's when we get really bad. I just can't figure out why we saw more cops on a Wednesday in the middle of the day than we did Memorial Day weekend making half of the same drive. (Oh, and the majority of the cops were in Az, so it wasn't CHP that was patrolling more). Crazy.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Hey, the economy's down...revenue has to come from somewhere!