Thursday, September 22, 2011

Another photography assignment


I've figured out the way my photography assignments are going to work out, at least for now. When we work on something, we're going to have an "A" assignment and a "B" assignment that are on the same thing. The A assignment is due first and is a technical assignment, us just showing that we can capture a picture correctly. The B assignment is a creative assignment, can we capture the subject technically correctly while being creative about it. So my A assignment was just to take some pictures of a main subject, and I shared some pictures from that assignment. Incidentally, we also chose one picture from the group of pictures to share with the class, so for the A assignment, I shared one of my lightning pictures. Although it wasn't technically perfect, it worked since it was a really advanced technique that I was attempting. So yesterday our B assignment was due. This time he wanted us to just go out and capture creative shots about what interests us and these are some of the shots I came up with:








This last one is the one I will present to the class on Monday (we ran out of time yesterday to get through everyone's). I really like vintage things so I went out to an historic park and tried to be creative with what I photographed and how it came out.  Although this assignment calls for us to photograph what we like to photograph, I didn't take any portraits of my kids for this assignment. Part of that was accidental (we're so busy right now I don't have the time to take them for photo shoots) and part was due to circumstance (they're getting tired of me taking pictures of them), but I'm glad it worked out that way. While I want to take good and even creative shots of them, I think for the ones I'm presenting to class it's better for me to be unattached emotionally from the pictures, which is hard to do when it's a picture of your child. I saw that from a couple members of the class yesterday and was doubly glad that I wasn't attached to my pictures. Especially as we are going to be discussing their shortcomings, I think I would much rather not have my kids in my photos. For now, though, I'm really pleased with how much I've learned and I'm looking forward to improving. In all the years of college I've taken, this is, hands down, my absolute favorite class.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Those are some really fun shots! I love the second one the most but there are several others that are close behind it! Way to go!