Friday, September 18, 2009

Lindsay's turn


Seven years ago, Jason and I had very cool experience. Instead of waking up in pain and rushing to the hospital, we got up very early in the morning, said goodbye to our two kids and sat in traffic all the way to the hospital. Then we sat there all morning while nothing happened. I think I should have realized then how stubborn Lindsay is. You can't rush her, she does things in her own time and only if she wants to. And while Bailey and Cole were both early, I forced Lindsay out on her due date because I was sick and tired of being pregnant. So while nothing happened all morning, and we tried, in vain, to get some sleep, all of a sudden, things began to move. And like the other two, once labor began, it was a very quick process. She was a pretty easy birth, so I'll give her that much at least, and then she was here--my beautiful baby girl. She turned our world upside down. After having two angelic babies, this one seemed to know that she was the youngest and would have to fight to get all the attention she could get. She never let me put her down! She was the longest to sleep through the night, going until she was nine months old before she would do it, and then it was just for the most part, she still liked to party during the night. She slept in a bouncer chair in the living room until she was three months simply because at the time we lived in a two bedroom place. So if I put her in with the other two, they would wake her up or she would wake them up. Looking back now, I think all these things are funny, but boy do I remember how tired I was! I think that's my biggest regret with Lindsay is that I was so tired that whole first year (well, really, the first five years) of her life that it seems like a blur. But with a three year old, an eighteen month old and a newborn, sleep wasn't something I got regularly. And somehow, with as difficult as she has been, there is just something special about this little girl. I can't wait to see how she turns out because I have a feeling she's going to be a really cool adult. So happy birthday Lindsay. We love you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, there is something about the little monkey.. Her smile is beautiful! We just don't see it often enough! She's also witty and smart. She can make you laugh and then turn around and be, well, Lindsay. But I'm glad she's my granddaughter.

Boons said...

Wow, I can't believe she's 7 already!! Happy belated Birthday, Lindsay! It looks like you had a fun day with Mom and Dad!