Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bailey's party










Bailey's party was on Saturday, so I spent the better part of Friday trying to get a lot done (doesn't help when you have to run a kid to the dr and the dog to the vet and then your boss asks you to come in for a few hours on your vacation day, but I digress). The only theme that she had going is that she wanted it to be like a spa day, so she wanted mostly healthy food, and we went from there. I was hoping to get decorated on Friday and to have prepared half the food, but none of that got done. So Saturday morning, we got up and everyone helped clean up and then decorate. Jason was a big help with the streamers, he did them way better than I would have done. Then Bailey helped me prepare the food. The doorbell rang a couple minutes before 2, and I was still in pj's, so I let Jason answer the door while I ran upstairs to take a quick shower. By 2:30, the four girls had arrived and we let them just hang out for a little while. Around 3 we went over to the aquatic center here in Surprise and swam (and I love our aquatic center--9 people, $11). When we got home, Jason and I made a bunch of different kinds of sandwiches without crusts, cut into triangles for dinner. We had a fruit salad with a berry cream cheese dip, gatorade slushies, and the munchies I had made earlier (fruit salsa with homemade cinnamon chips, reese's haystacks, chocolate dipped pretzels with sprinkles, cookies, and chex mix). The girls were pretty funny. They loved the turkey sandwiches, we kept having to make more, but none of them would touch the chicken sandwiches. Same brand of lunch meat and everything, they just thought chicken was weird. After dinner, she opened her presents, and then we had cake. After the festivities, the girls gave each other makeovers, and I painted their toenails (we found some cute bling for their toes at Target too, but they didn't stick very well). They were so hilarious. Whenever they finished with each other's makeup, they would go into Bailey's walk in closet, link their ankles, and the girl who had her makeup done had to tell secrets, such as who they liked. I tried very hard not to laugh, but they were having fun. Bailey made me proud too because while I was in there, the girls didn't want to tell their secrets to each other, but Bailey told them I was cool. :D Oh, and she told me who she likes, so at least she'll talk to me for now. I give it another year or two and then she won't want to talk to me anymore. Anyway, the girls finally went to bed at eleven and were asleep by midnight, so that wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. The next morning, we got up and made them french toast and smoothies and they found the time to give each other makeovers again before they left.

Bailey had a great time, which was the most important part. And Jason and I got to see the group of girls that she's friends with at school, and they're really pretty good girls. The girl that Bailey talks about most got her the most thoughful gift, so we were really happy that this is the girl that Bailey calls her best friend. I think the most annoying thing for me was the cell phones. I didn't anticipate that every single one of those girls would show up with their own cell phone. We've agreed that our kids don't need one, and we really think it's pretty stupid for kids this age to have them except for some circumstances. But to bring them to a sleepover? They were calling and texting eachother while they were sitting in the same room or the same car! Oh, and they were calling their parents too ("We're on our way to go swim. I love you!") Seriously, if Bailey started calling me from a sleepover just to say hi and that she loves me, I'd be asking her if she needed to be picked up. It really made us uncomfortable, I wanted to take them away, but since they really weren't doing anything bad with them, I couldn't see how I could. Within five minutes of them getting here, I did have to stop them from prank calling people though. It also made Bailey pretty jealous since she doesn't have one. But, other than that and the exhaustion of prepping for a throwing a party like this, it was great.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute pictures. Which one is Amra? (is that how you spell her name?)

Jessica said...

In the swimming pic, she's the one in the striped suit on the left. And yes, that's how you spell her name

Grandma in the middle said...

Hmmm... Something told me that was going to be who she was. Probably based on what I know about last year! But what a sweetheart! I like her for being a good friend to my granddaughter!