Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines Day

In my normal fashion, I was behind making the valentines for the kids. Jason thought I could just buy them valentines from the store instead this year (and yes, I let him live for making a comment like that), but it just wouldn't have been my style. Instead, since I had already bought the suckers and cut and scored the paper, I let my kids help out and make their own.
I let the kids go through my stamps and decide which ones they wanted to use. From left to right, Cole chose a baseball player, Lindsay chose a monkey with hearts, and Bailey chose a hippie. All night I had to hear about how hippies are so cool, and then she told me the next day when she handed them out that she told everyone, "Hippies are cool, yo!" or "Peace to the hippies, yo!" (and I have tried on numerous occasions to explain to this child that she is a little white girl, not a gangster, but it's obviously not working).

And then of course, we found out the night before that Cole and Lindsay needed a decorated box to bring goodies home in, so I was rushing to get that done as well. I found some plain boxes from Target which we cut a hole in the top for the cards. Then the kids decorated the lids and I put a phrase on each of their boxes, whatever they wanted.
Lindsay wanted hers to say Valentines Day in her new favorite color, pink.
Bailey, with total originality, decided she wanted hers to say Bailey's Box in her favorite color, blue.
And my favorite, Cole asked for his to say Dodgers Rock in Dodger blue (yes, he asked for it in Dodger blue). He gets teased because the kids in his class are all D-backs fans. And we had decided when we moved here that we should try to like our local sports teams. I really did try, and if the D-backs are not playing the Dodgers, I'm happy to cheer for them. But I guess I found out that you just can't take the Dodger blue out of my blood.

I also had to throw together some valentines for their teachers really quick:
So for today, I wasn't really expecting much. Valentines days in the past have been pretty disappointing, so I try not to get excited about them. We usually give our kids a little something, and since the girls were shopping with me last night, they got to pick out little toys they wanted. We decided that Cole's present is going to be his sparring gear, which is more than we usually spend on valentines day presents for them, but I figure we have to buy it anyway, might as well save ourselves the money on the toy. I got Jason a gift card for a massage (he had his first one with me last year and just loved it and has been wanting to go again, so I thought that would be nice). And then I found him a Flash t-shirt, which is his favorite superhero. I was really thinking I outdid him this year, but my amazing husband totally surprised me. There is a huge tournament at the tennis complex that begins this weekend so I figured I wouldn't really see much of him today. He got up really early to get down there, so I was still in bed asleep, and I was really suprised when he came home an hour later. He made me get out of bed and come downstairs to get my present:
I have always wanted to try one of these, they're so beautiful. And although I love flowers very much, they die in a few days and you don't get to eat them. I hope everyone has a nice valentines day.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love those edible bouquets! My MIL got one for our family for all of our December birthdays. Tasty and beautiful!