Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tonight's conversation with Bailey

Bailey: "Mom, I was wondering...well, Lindsay's DS looks exactly like your DS. So, I was wondering if it was the same or if you bought a new one."
(incidentally, it is the same one, we packaged mine up and gave it to her because it was cheaper and when do I have the time to play with it?)
Me: "What do you mean did I buy one? Santa gave it to her."
Bailey: "Oh, well, I was just wondering."
Me: "Well, wait, you always tell me you believe in Santa so do you or not?"
Bailey: "Of course I believe in Santa. I just don't know where most of my presents come from."
Me: "Well, what do you mean you don't know where they come from. If they come from Santa, they come from Santa, right?"
Bailey: "Yeah, well, I was just wondering"

I was laughing when she left, thought it was funny. I'm pretty sure deep down she knows the truth, but she either (1) doesn't want to give up the fantasy of Santa or (2) is afraid that if she fesses up to not believing we'll take it away like we did when we told her about the tooth fairy (seriously, when you're nine, parents are tired of paying for teeth!)

1 comment:

Christie said...

LOL, yeah , sounds like she's just about ready.