Sunday, November 29, 2009

Bittersweet Weekend

Thanksgiving weekend was nice because we got to see a lot of family we don't see often. We like to spend our Thanksgiving weekends at home, but Jason's grandma was celebrating her 80th birthday and all of the family was going to be there, so we made the trek this year to So Cal. We had a good time visiting with his family on Thursday and half the day on Friday. Unfortunately, while we were there this weekend, on of my grandmas got really sick and had to be hospitalized. My grandma Middough, who I'm very close to, has been sick for a few months and just hasn't been able to get over it. I guess this last week she didn't even have the energy to eat if someone didn't come over to feed her. They released her from the hospital yesterday, but only to a nursing facility so that she can get her strength back before going home, but she's at the point where she just can't live alone any more. If she would let me, I would bring her home with me and take care of her, but I know she won't. We finally did get to see her last night before we went home, and she just lit up when my kids came in the room. I know her great-grandkids make her really happy, and my kids have been a little upset because they know what's going on. And, unfortunately, I think I make it worse for them because I'm so upset. I was really grateful to be able to see her, and I sincerely hope it wasn't for the last time. I know she's been in poor health for the last few years and that she could go at any time, but it's just hard to let her go--I'm not ready. Of course, Jason reminded me that I'm never going to be ready. I know I'll be able to see her again one day, but I'm going to miss her so much. So for now, we're just waiting to hear if she gets better or worse and I'm prepared to fly back when I need to. I think we're really just hoping that she makes it through the holidays. Prayers for our family and especially my grandma would be wonderful.

No comments: