Monday, April 4, 2011

Leading a horse to water

I grew up with a family pretty similar to my own in it's makeup. I am the middle of three children born to both my parents (I do have a half brother and half sister, but for the sake of this, I'm just referring to my brothers). We were close in age, as are my children, but instead of two girls and one boy, I have two brothers. I know how it feels to be the middle child stuck between two siblings of the same sex, different from your own, so my son is my little soul mate. So when it comes time to throw him a birthday party, I always like to make sure he really gets what he wants. And because my children only get a birthday party every other year, when they do have a party, they get really excited about it. So Cole and I started talking about and planning his party back in February. We threw ideas around a lot, but he ultimately decided to do the one party that his sister's have never been able to have: a pool party. And since his birthday rolled around first, he got to be the first one to do it. Being the crafter that I am, I always make their birthday invitations, and I always try to make them special to the kid for whom the party is thrown. I know I've talked recently about Cole's new-found love for Harry Potter, so I found and bought some digital stamps, spent hours working on them, and finally came up with a final design that he was happy with (including the Gryffindor colors, of course):

With much anticipation, I gave them to Cole with just under two weeks til his party to hand them out to his class mates. So the first Monday, he came home from school, I was shocked to find out that he had forgotten to hand out the invitations. Same thing on Tuesday. Wednesday, he came home and said he remembered to hand one out, and then nothing on Thursday or Friday. It's not as though we were inviting a whole lot of people and he didn't want to be embarrassed handing them out to the whole class or anything like that, just his friends (and to think my fear was that he wouldn't be discreet about handing them out). This is one of those situations where I really wanted to step in and make sure he handed them all out so that he'd have a bunch of friends at his party, but I have this image in the back of my mind of him in college needing his mom to remind him to turn in his homework, and I knew I had to let it go.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute...I think I will have the same issue about Jaemyn...maybe it has to do with March babies, lol. Good job on the invites.

Kim said...

That card is absolutely adorable! So fun!