Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chocolate Caramel Popcorn

This year, I decided to make caramel popcorn for our local friends instead of cookies or brownies, things that I normally make. I thought it would make a nice change of pace for me as it was easier to whip up a couple batches of this instead of baking for days, so it won't take too much of my time away from packing. I was trying to incorporate the recipe into the tag so that if someone liked it, they could make it themselves, but it was just too large to fit into what I had in mind, so I thought I would post it here. I took a couple recipes I found on allrecipes.com and incorporated them together so that I had what I wanted, so I don't really know who to credit for the recipe, but here it is anyway.

Chocolate Caramel Popcorn
Makes: 20 cups
Ready in 1-2 hours


Ingredients:
20 cups popped popcorn
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup margarine
½ cup corn syrup
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 bag of chocolate chips
Directions:
Heat oven to 200F
Place popcorn in a large roasting pan and set aside. In 2-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil. Continue boiling without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 238F or soft ball state. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Pour over popcorn; stir until all popcorn is coated. Bake for 20 minutes; stir. Continue baking for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately place caramel corn on waxed paper to cool. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Once melted, dip wooden spoon into chocolate, then shake the spoon over the popcorn to get a drizzled effect. Let harden; break apart and store in an airtight container.

No comments: